Monday, September 30, 2013

River trace from Xiufeng Falls- 秀峰的朔溪

And so it begins.
On Saturday I decided to revisit the trace I did from underneath Xiufeng Falls, this time to take photos this secret playground.  While I had traced in nothing but boxers last time, the added encumbrance of a swinging camera bag vied with moss-covered boulders for my attention.  Luckily, when you own a old, beat up point-and-shoot, you don't care quite as much when it gets knocked around a bit.  As I descended, Mowgli like in my Speedo and four-limbed gait, I saw traces of civilization scattered throughout the river bed: an old tire, a bit of tiled concrete, pipes and wires; not enough to detract from the beauty around me, but enough to awake a passing interest in their origin.





The working man's selfie.
Oh, hey random tire.  What's up?
Going barefoot, laughable I'm sure among Taiwan's staunchest river tracers, afforded me a better grip on the rocks.  Still, it was careful going, differentiating from slimy moss and naturally green rock, testing every footfall to make sure I didn't fall ass over heels.  In some parts I treated the trace almost like a rock climb; when grips were absent, I'd push my back against one rock, my feet against another, and shimmy up my improvised chimney.


The perfectly flat pool nestled within all these boulders was too photogenic to pass up.

For an island that seems to pass autumn right by, it shows a startlingly vivid palate of fall colors in the mountains.
Looking back before crossing over to the wooded ridge.
Making the traverse over before I begin the descent.  Already wending my way through branches at this point.
At such a steep incline, the river cascaded into miniature waterfalls every dozen yards or so, clipping along at a merry pace.  I saw few pools to relax in, but no matter, I'd bathe at my destination.  Before long, I saw the familiar autumn-hued rock right before the plummet down a waterfall I (rather prosaically) refer to as Xiufeng Falls II.  I'd stopped at this point last time, marveling at the similarity between these falls and the ones above, all the while knowing I'd never make it down the sheer rock face.  It had seemed like such a shame to stop so abruptly, and tapping into the more reckless side of me, I looked around for any possible way down.  The wooded slope to the right seemed promising- trees could provide hand and footholds halfway down until solid rock forced me down a much more manageable angle.  Would the small trees prove sturdy enough to take my weight though?  My gamble had paid off, for I found them more than up for the task.

A shot as I'm climbing down.  The falls here really do mirror the more darling cousin above.  Only ease of access prevents them from enjoying similar fame.
Going down proved more difficult due to the recent rains.  Though the trees were as staunch as before, the rock face looked slicker from above.  Damn, I hadn't considered that.  No turning back though, not now.  With my back to the face, I placed my feet strategically, willing my feet to grip the slick rock until I could maneuver below to the spongy trunk of some exotic tree (筆筒樹).  From there, it was only a few steps to the bottom.

That trunk on the bottom right is what I'm aiming for- it'll make my life a lot easier.
Bleached leaves do a fair impression of fall.

It's difficult to see, but I came down the slope with those three trees in the middle.
I admired the view, glad navigation to the foot of the falls went without incident.  I could've traced further down, but I think I might want to save that accomplishment for when I go with a group.  I don't know what we'll find at the end of the river, or even if we'll be able to make it that far.  Just imagine though, a group of hardened foreign explorers, emerging from the jungle brush to the astonishment of some locals, and the look of incredulity when they hear we've traced the river all the way from the mountains to the flatland.  A tale to pass down to the children, perhaps?  Then we'll have what every explorer seeks, whether or not they care to admit it- a little slice of immortality.




One last shot of the slope before I head over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment